PRIVATE PILOT LICENSEThere are 2 options for converting the Private pilot licence:
- Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC)
- Private Pilot Licence (PPL)
Temporary Flying: Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC) - for Training or PleasureA foreign pilot licence of a visitor whose residence is outside Canada may be validated for private recreational purposes. The foreign pilot licence must be valid under the law of the issuing state and valid for the privileges appropriate to the specific purpose. An applicant should apply for a Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC) before arriving in Canada. The FLVC will be issued for a period of one year at which time the applicant may choose to renew it, or apply for a permanent Canadian Pilot Licence. Below is the process to apply for the FLVC:
- Fill out this form.
- Include a copy of your licence , medical, and the form, and fax or mail it to Transport Canada.
Private Pilot Licence Issued On the Basis of Foreign LicenceCandidates who want a long term Canadian Private Pilot licence are advised to convert to a full Canadian licence. An applicant who is the holder of a Private Pilot Licence issued by another country shall be considered to have met the ground school, written examination, and the flight test provided that they can show a licence and logbook. To convert: Obtained a Canadian Class III medical or higher. It is important to do this first as you cannot do the written or flight test until you have been issued the medical certificate.
- Candidate has obtained 90% in the written examination PSTAR. Use the online course at Academy.cfc.aero
- Completed 5 take-offs and 5 landings within the 6 months preceding the date of application
- Has at least 45 hours total flight time, 12 hours solo, 5 hours instrument time, 3 hours dual cross country, and 5 hours solo cross country.
- Once the above has been completed, the candidate will be issued a licence which will state it is based on a foreign licence; to remove this statement from your licence, the Private Pilot written examination must be completed.